IMG_2883.jpg
  1. 109 Clark St.- Italian Renaissance villa built in 1916 by attorney K.W. Cutrer and his wife, Blanche Clark Cutrer, daughter of Clarksdale’s founder John Clark and Eliza Jane Alcorn Clark. Today, it is part of the Coahoma Community College/Delta State Higher Education Complex.

  2. 211 Clark St.- Home of Clarksdale founder John Clark and Eliza Jane Alcorn Clark. It was built before the Civil War in 1859 on the present site of the Cutrer home. Today this home is The Clark House, an exquisite bed and breakfast inn.

  3. 221 Clark St.- The Dutch Colonial stucco home of Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Carr was built in 1908. For many years the 7-bedroom residence was the Gerald Fitzgerald home and today it is home to Mary Thompson.

  4. 220 Clark St.- The original home of Clarksdale lawyer Earl Leroy Brewer, Governor of Mississippi from 1912-1916. Built in 1904, the house is now home to Celia Luckett Bobo and her husband Jack Bobo.

  5. 227 Clark St.- Constructed in 1909, this handsome 2-story home was built by Mrs. Page next door to her sister, Mrs. Oscar Carr. It is currently owned by Jack and Trish Denton.

  6. 235 Clark St.- Built in 1904 by Clarksdale businesswoman W.A. Crawley who owned the Ice House, this stately 2-story home with distinctive double front porches has been a Clarksdale landmark and home to the Crawley family for almost 100 years. Its present owner is Crawley’s great-grandson, Tom Ross Jr., and his wife Fran.

  7. 41 John St.- The palatial brick home of Gov. Earl Brewer. He moved his original home on logs to face Clark St. and returned home to Clarksdale on the train following his 1912-1916 term of office in Jackson. It is the current home of Tyler Barr Harris and her husband Rob Harris.

  8. 249 Clark St.- Built in 1920 by a Clarksdale milliner, the handsome 2-story frame home is now the home of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Clegg.

  9. 251 Clark St.- Built around 1920, the large 2-story frame residence was the home of Clarksdale dentist Dr. Moore and his family. Its present owner is Dr. Patricia Johnson.

  10. 56 John St.- Construction of the 2-story Victorian home was begun in 1904 by O. M. and Mary Hopson Ellis and completed in 1906. Making their home there now are Dave and Cindy Dezwaan.

  11. 231 Court St.- Constructed in 1907, the spacious 1-story frame residence facing Court St. was built by a member of Clarksdale’s founding family, the Clarks. Today it is home to Virnell Durham and her son Bill.

  12. 232 Court St.- The brick Powers house was built in 1933 by Michael and Jessie Powers who owned Powers Department Store. It replaces their early 1900s frame home which burned. Current owners are the Abe Davis family. They are owners of one of Clarksdale’s favorite barbeque spots—Abe’s.

  13. 221 Court St.- The distinctive 2-story Campbell Family home dates back to the early 1900s. Today it is home to Joe and Lisa Bailey.

  14. 216 Court St.- According to Patsy Maclin who has lived in the 1-story Robert Bobo stucco residence since the early 1980s, their home shares similar history with the stucco Dutch Colonial Carr/Fitzgerald/Thompson home which was built in 1908.

  15. 215 Court St.- The “carriage house” to the large Campbell house next door was home for many years to Sister Mary Campbell McMinn. It is now home to Jerry and Amy Hudson.

  16. 203 Court St.- Labeled on of Clarksdale’s favorite homes, the charming 3-bedroom Victorian-style cottage was built around 1900, according to Mrs. Mattie Burnett, who previously lived there. It now serves as the law office of John Sherman.

  17. 39 Yazoo Ave.- The 1-story residence of Jeff and Patty Geraci was built around 1918 and is known locally as “the house that Jack (J.W. Cutrer) built”. It is now home to Rob and Anna Tyner and family.

  18. 410 Court St.- Built in 1910 by J.H. Johnson, the 2-story residence was home to circuit clerk Gus Meyers. It was for years home to Evelyn Roberson. Today, it is home to John Ruskey and wife Sarah Crisler-Ruskey and daughter Emma.

  19. 415 Court St.- Built in 1894 by Walter Clark, this spacious raised cottage originally faced First St. and was moved on logs around 1900. Mrs. Clark was the 1st woman from Coahoma County elected to the State House of Representatives. Her son, Phil Clark, was Tennessee Williams’ best childhood friend. It was home for many years to Pete and Helen Williams and their children and today it is home to journalist Panny Mayfield.

  20. 501 First St.- The stately Peacock Family home dates back to the early 1960s. An extensive renovation was begun by Cary Cocke, a Peacock grandson whose mother grew up as “Baby Doll” Peacock. Tennessee Williams, who lived a block away, borrowed her name for one of his works which was made into a movie. Clarksdale attorney Ralph Chapman completed the renovation and today it houses his law firm—Chapman, Lewis, and Swan.

  21. 519 First St.- The George and Lucie Lee Maynard Family home is another of Clarksdale’s favorite houses and often is referred to as “The Castle”. The English Tudor-style residence was built in 1929 and today it houses the law office of Chris Finn.

  22. 105 Desoto Ave.- The large English Tudor home originally was the Crutcher home and according to Carol Hurst, who renovated it in 1992, dates back to 1901.

  23. 106 Desoto Ave.- The spacious 2-story William Howell home faces Desoto and was bult around 1911 by Henry and Annie Fitzgerald.

  24. 106 Sharkey Ave.- The St. George’s Episcopal Church office was once the church rectory. Rev. Walter Dakin and his wife Rose lived there from 1917-1933. For a number of years, their daughter, Edwina Dakin Williams, and her children, Rose and Tom (young Tennessee Williams), lived there also.

  25. 405 E. Second St.- The towering brick First United Methodist Church replaced a small frame church, which was donated to an African-Methodist-Episcopal congregation near Friars Point.

  26. 104 Issaquena Ave.- The yellow and white Victorian Wildberger home with its tower room and gingerbread trim is another Clarksdale favorite. It was built in 1897 and was the home of Mrs. Ethel Wildberger.

  27. 114 Delta Ave.- Carnegie Public Library was built in 1914 with a grant from the Carnegie Foundation. It has also been home to the world-famous Delta Blues Museum which has moved to its new home at the Blues Alley freight depot.

  28. 69 Delta Ave.- Clarksdale’s first Jewish Temple was built in 1906.

  29. 157 Third St.- Central Building, formerly the Alcazar Hotel, dates back to the early 1900s.

  30. 258 Yazoo Ave.- The Larry Thompson Theatre, formerly the Paramount Theatre, was an early 1900s vaudeville stage and later a movie theater. It is names in honor of Clarksdale native and Hollywood producer Larry Thompson.

  31. 312 Yazoo Ave.- Originally the Garmon Ice Cream Co., this is now The Big Pink Guesthouse and Pink Bar.

  32. 416 - 420 Third St.- The Clarksdale Public Utilities Building has been carefully restored following guidelines from the MS Department of Archives and History.

  33. Blues Alley 1- Clarksdale Station is the new home to the Coahoma County Tourism Commission.

  34. Blues Alley 2- The internationally acclaimed Delta Blues Museum showcases the history and significance of the Blues in this region. It features memorabilia of all kinds, including a wax figure and cabin of Blues great Muddy Waters.

  35. Sunflower & Martin Luther King Dr.- Grange Cemetery is the final resting place for many historic Clarksdale residents, including members of the Clark and Cutrer families.

  36. 615 Sunflower Ave.- The Riverside Hotel is an historic music landmark which was converted from the G.T. Thomas Hospital. Empress of the Blues Bessie Smith died at the hospital in 1937 after an automobile crash. It was changed to a boarding house and then a hotel. For decades it was run by Mrs. Z. J. Hill, who died in 1998, but continues to be operated today by her granddaughter Z Ratcliff. It has been home to many famous musicians such as Ike Turner, Sonny Boy Williamson, and John Lee Hooker. It boasts of guests such as John F. Kennedy, Jr. on its register.